Wednesday 12 June 2013

Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

Room 15 is full of amazing authors and recently some of them have featured in the Extra. Extra is an educational resource published by the Otago Daily Times and showcases current events as well as children's writing. Here are some of our published authors:

"Seeing my story in the Extra was really exciting knowing that it will be read all around New Zealand. My story was called: Billy’s adventure, I had sent it to the extra in March and they put it in for the June extra! I was also hoping they would put it in! First I had to write it, then I self edited by doing, COPS, highlighting my goals were I have done them. Next I added some things in.Then it was time for peer editing! I got my peer (Anika) and she read it and left 2 stars and a wish! When Ms Kerr called out “Jemmas story is in the extra” I came up and saw it in there. I was so proud of myself for achieving my goal, but I’m not stopping there!" Jemma.

"Previously in the last two months I made it into the Extra. My piece was a book review on Gangster Granny. When I saw it in the Extra I was stunned, I felt so proud of myself.
P.S. If you don't know what Extra is it is a kids news paper." Jordan.


"Last month I wrote a poem about figurative language. I sent my poem into the Extra and I was hoping I would get in. When the new Extra arrived I flicked through the poem section to find my poem. I felt amazed and proud of myself." Tiara.

"I've been trying to send a story into the Extra for a while. When I was finished typing my story I gave it to Ms Kerr to send. When the Extra came out I found my story, I was so excited!" Emily DL




"I wrote a recipe about chocolate mousse. When I sent it to the Extra I was really nervous and thought I wouldn't get in. But, when I saw it in the Extra my teacher Ms Kerr said that I won a recipe book. I was really happy that I got in and won something." Amaya.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Emily
    I was so excited to see you had a piece of writing published in the Extra Magazine!!! How fabulous that you had been trying to get one accepted and you have now achieved your dream! I really liked how you took me as a reader on a journey by building up the anticipation and making me wonder what we going to happen. Mrs Wood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been really challenging to get in the Extra! you must have been exciting ween you sore your name
    from symone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Room 15! There is a lot of amazing writing happening during your learning time. I wanted to thank you so much for inspiring the Neinsteins to think about how they might get their writing published in the Xtra magazine as well. They have decided that it is important to really focus on completing a piece of writing to a very high standard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my story in the extra and I was so proud of myself and I'm not stopping there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow what is the eztra
    school:Halfway bush

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done room 15 great to see aspiring young writers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow good work Amaya by the way that chocalate mousse looked very nice.

    Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Room 15 kids!! - These were great stories / articles published in Extra.

    Kerryn Tutty

    ReplyDelete